Sunday, December 13, 2009

Ouch!!!

December 13, 2009
We had just gotten home from our week stay in Park City.  We had only been home long enough to unload the cars.  The kids were in the playroom, Pat was out shoveling snow, and I was unpacking our suitcases.  All of a sudden I hear Landen scream and I ran out to the front room and he comes running in and this is what I see!


I knew that it was broken.  I started yelling for Pat and he comes running down the stairs. Poor Alyssa is wondering what in the word is going on.  She hadn't seen what happened and didn't know how he broke it and Landen was crying to hard to tell us.  We rushed to the E.R. and luckily they took us right back.  The whole time Landen is crying, and all I could think was how sick his arm looked.  They finally came to give him some pain meds, but getting the i.v was almost as bad as him breaking his arm.  Luckily neither one of us passed out (I guess that happens often).  After several attempts, and a lot of crying they finally got the drugs in him and he fell asleep.

This is when we took some pictures, because what is a great story without the pictures to go along with it.  They took some x-rays and the Doc said it just need to be set and we were good to go.  He explained that they would sedate him, but he would not be completely out so he would still feel it a little, but not remember it.  I asked if I could be sedated too because I didn't want to remember it either, but I guess that's not really allowed.  He finally set it, and yes I think he did feel it based the crying, but luckily another set of x-rays showed that everything was were it should be and they didn't have to do it again.  He calmed down pretty quickly, they put a splint and a sling on him and we were able to go home. 



When we got home Landen kept telling everyone that he broke his arm, but the doctor fixed it.  We finally got out of him that he had fallen off the stairs in the castle in the playroom.  He just sat on our bed being a very brave little boy.  He has kept his arm elevated and let us ice it.  I think this might be the drugs, but he doesn't seem too upset.  I think he is enjoying all the cartoons he is getting to watch.

The doc said it was a simple fracture and should heal really well especially because he is young. We have to go back to the doctor tomorrow and when the swelling has gone down in a few days he will get a cast.  Until then he has to wear the splint and sling, I am still wondering how I am going to keep that on a three year old.  All in all he is doing really well, I am not sure that his parents handled it as well as he did.    I think I may have lost a few years off my life.

6 comments:

  1. HOLY COW!! Poor little kid! I honestly don't know how I would handle something like that! I have never broken a bone, or even had stitches, so to see that happen to my child would be torture! What a brave little man! Get better soon, Landen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure hope that this is his one and only break. Glad you could get the pics onto your post.
    Love to you all, Big Grandma, Grandpa Ron, & Aunt Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor little dude!! I can't believe he broke his arm! Give him a kiss for his Aunt Brittani!! :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor little guy! I'm sure a broken arm won't stop him from opening up Christmas presents (if he needs to know how, tell him to ask Grandma Sue for advice on that). He sure is one tough little boy. Give him a hug for us and we hope he gets feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH...my gosh Amber, leave it up to you to put a sick picture like that on your blog! Poor Landon and poor parents! I bet that was extremely difficult to watch that....

    ReplyDelete